Blueberry Pie

Childhood provides a sense of comfort that one can retreat to every now then. The most constant thing from childhood that one can turn to is food. So many memories are formed around the dishes of childhood, the smells and taste. Memories made around the table shape people and minds alike, making childhood foods the most magical experience of all.

I find it impossible to choose just one food that defined my life as a child. Some of the dishes I remember the most are blueberry pie, sugar cookies and hot dogs. It’s seems silly to say, but these foods shaped who I am as a person and gave me a chance to grow out of some childish behaviors. What I adored the most was blueberry pie, which makes me laugh even now when I think about it. Even now, I still love blueberry pie. I love the color it stains my lips. The sweet taste is reminiscent of even sweeter childhood days. Blueberry pie fills me with warm memories. One might be surprised to learn that yes, a pie, helped me grow up and outgrow childish habits and shape my personality.

I still enjoy some of this indulgence every now and then, but the time between each pie grows farther and farther apart. It seems fitting. The last time I had the sweet taste of pie on my tongue was Thanksgiving of 2010. My mother didn’t provide my favorite dessert this year, and it’s rather depressing. She thinks I’ve outgrown such an indulgence, but the craving for a comfort like this will never depart.

My relationship with the dessert began ever since I had teeth to chew. As a child, I was so incredibly fascinated with every aspect of the dish. The crumbling crust that was flaky yet crisp, the squish of the blueberries and the juice that leaked out the side and down my chin.

There was one thing that always baffled me about blueberry pie. I always wondered why, if blueberries are supposed to be blue, why did the filling of the pie have a purple tint? Even though it’s a rather silly question, adventures with food are what developed my curiosity. Usually the most piercing, unanswerable questions came with my mouth full and I barely able to speak. My mother would repeat “I don’t know” for the tenth time as my father doused my pie in whipped cream. “Is that really necessary?!” she would exclaim. But as Shakespeare once wrote: “Can one desire too much of a good thing?”. The answer for my family was always no, as the pie disappeared quickly as well as the whipped cream. So I believe the first lesson I learned with my blueberry pie would have to be that some questions can’t be answered by those around you and that scavenging for knowledge is better than being handed the information.

The pie always seemed to be like my lucky charm, whenever I ate it, something good always happened. I would enjoy a slice as I owned family during Monopoly, eat it right before I caught fireflies and chow down as I watched the ball in Times Square drop on New Year’s Eve. As a kid, I always associated food with family. Every time we played a game or went somewhere, food was a common factor. But now as my sister matures into her twenties and I into my teens, little sugar cookies or snacks aren’t set out on the table to enjoy. Food isn’t required to enjoy family time, but it feels the best and strongest when I have that one, beautiful piece of pie sitting on plate in front of me, inviting me in.

Published in: Uncategorized on November 30, 2011 at11:51 pm Comments (5)

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: http://mblazewicz.edublogs.org/2011/11/30/blueberry-pie/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

5 Comments      Leave a comment.

1. on December 13, 2011 at 5:19 pmcarriescherder Said:

Dear Michelle,

Your blog brings me back to my own favorite childhood desserts by utilizing a large amount of imagery. In addition, the imagery you use is enlaced with other figurative language, such as alliteration. This creates a calming voice; one that takes me to one of your Thanksgiving dinners. Something that I noticed in your essay, is that you use the word rather quite often. For some reason, I feel like there was another word that you used often. I also found that at points your sentence fluency become redundant, but it was not a huge issue. I feel like your theme transferred extremely well It was neither obvious nor non-existent. I really enjoy your essay and think it’s going to be great!

Carrie Scherder Block 3

Reply

2. on December 14, 2011 at 9:37 pmcberardo Said:

I love pie, too! And this blog definitely reminds me of how good it is. The way you described past memories was great. Just watch out for some grammatical errors in some places. Also some sentence fluency here and there… but awesome overall! -Christian 3

Reply

3. on December 15, 2011 at 2:55 pmRyan_3 Said:

Michelle,
    You have probably the most solid essay out of the five I’ve read this week. You’re descriptions of the delicious food make my mouth water and my stomach growl. You combine great imagery with stories of your own upbringing, which makes your essay very relate-able and fun to read. My only suggestion would be to look at sentence fluency. There’s not a lot of variation between the lengths of your sentences and although it doesn’t take away from your essay, it doesn’t give it that certain unique voice. Other than that, good theme that’s easy to spot and i cant wait to read the finished product.
    Ryan_3

Reply

4. on December 15, 2011 at 5:33 pmKatie 3 Said:

I wanted to say that I think you do a really great job of using imagery and narration in your piece. Really great imagery I think is when someone describes something that’s really true but that one doesn’t always immediately think about it and I think you do a really neat job of that in your blog. I think you have really great voice and I think you just might want to do more to establish your theme as you finish your piece. I’m not sure, but I think you tried to establish it kind of bluntly in the beginning and then you just went on to continue your story. I’m not saying you can’t tell your story or anything, but I think since you might want to establish some kind of purpose in each paragraph, but do it subtly though. Anyway I think you have a really great start here and it looks like you’re going to have a really great overall blog.

Reply

5. on December 16, 2011 at 4:45 amFrankie Said:

Michele you did such a great job with this. your description was great. especially with how you described the pie. It made me want to bake an entire blueberry pie and eat the entire thing by myself and not share it with anyone. This essay was really good, the only thing I can find wrong were some punctuation and grammatical errors. I really like the sense of nostalgia in the essay where you talk about remembering the smells and tastes of certain foods from your childhood. It brought me back to some of the foods that i remember i used to really enjoy when I was younger. Good job!

Reply